January 14, 2011

Kick

Let's Make Sandwiches
October 2006
As our success began to runaway with us, the usefulness of Let's Make Sandwiches on a larger scale was quickly noticed by several international espionage agencies. And while I'm contractually and legally bound not to reveal which agencies they were, I will say that they were Interpol, the CIA, and the Shin-Bet. We began incorporating codified imagery for use by agents in the field. Unfortunately, due to the spastic content of the strips and the poor quality of the art, our contracts dissolved when several agents misinterpreted our strips and were consequently executed. In retaliation, they cut the tips off Frankie's fingers, and put out a contract for my head. Last I heard, it was up to $150 million in uncut diamonds.

This was the first of many many Let's Make Sandwiches to feature explosions. I enjoyed this one in particular because I got to draw both a poof cloud and a person exploding. I was reading a lot of Jhonen Vasquez at the time, and may well have totally copied that explosion from one of his comics. It was my idea to have a guy get kicked and then explode, and it was Frankie's idea to have that guy relating a flashback in which he explodes and thus disappears in a puff of logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment