January 10, 2011

Chicago

Let's Make Sandwiches
September 2006
It's the fall of 2006. York's student-run newspaper, the Excalibur, really really sucks, and among its worst offenders are the collection of not very funny comics at the back. The saving grace of Excalibur's comics, the hilarious Chudley Pie, hasn't been around for I think almost a year, and with few exceptions, every week is a disgrace.

Enter acclaimed demoniac Frankie Garofalo and I. We decide that the crudely drawn two-panel comic Frankie drew and taped to his wall is better than this shit. I re-draw it, submit it, it's published, and Frankie and I are now celebrated comic auteurs.

Let's Make Sandwiches was met with widespread critical praise and catapulted us both to the pinnacle of student newspaper stardom. It all fell apart quickly, I with my prostitutes and Frankie with his sandbags full of cocaine, but we shone brightly before we fizzled out.

Frankie had originally drawn a dinosaur-like monster but I'd been watching a lot of Samurai Jack and so re-imagined it as some kind of Genndy Tartakovsky octopus monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment